Sunday, March 29, 2015

Response - The Lion King



No movie brings back my childhood nostalgia quite like Disney’s classic The Lion King. There is something that I cannot put into words that makes this movie so appealing and enjoyable to me. Neither seeing it half a dozen times nor growing older can tarnish my undeniable love of this film. I wish I was able to explain why this is so, but I struggle to articulate why this movie seems to transcend the obsolescence that typify so many other films. At the core however I think there is something of my childhood self that still latches onto the film in a uniquely profound way.

I would first like to take an uncritical approach to the film, recognizing it for the masterpiece it is. What then can trump the fabulous opening montage of the film presenting the harmony and beauty of the wild expanses of Africa and the animal kingdom. From the first establishing shots of the rising of the sun, the birds flying over the pristine waterfall and the grandeur of pride rock – the imagery and setting are wonderfully breathtaking. This beauty and sublime nature of the animal kingdom are enchanting and awe inspiring even as a young adult. Coupled with a phenomenal soundtrack, these scenes resonant with a feeling of wonder like no other film. The epic opening of ‘Circle of life’ to the playful ‘I Just Can’t Wait to be King’ to the tender ‘Can You Feel the Love Tonight’ satisfy both my love of aesthetic beauty and my love for music. It is no surprises that these anthems feature prominently in my everyday playlists. This magic in animation, production and composition make the Lion King so appealing.

Expanding my love of this film, I love the characterization and comedic relief of Timon and Pumbaa. A bunch of misfits and rather awkward individuals, they give another dimension to the film that complements the message of the film while adding great entertainment value.  I strongly resonant with their message of ‘hakuna matata’ – which means ‘no worries’. I frequently use the term “no worries” in my day-to-day speech, reflecting my attachment to their life philosophy and fun nature. Disney’s creative humour can be seen when Timon, Pumbaa and Simba are looking at the stars, contemplating what they could be. Pumbaa’s response of ‘Oh gee. I always thought they were balls of gas burning billions of miles away’ is incredibly funny and ironic given the characterization of Pumbaa as being obsessed by gas. These subtleties of humour give the film another dimension of creativity and pleasure. Yet these comedic interjections are also supplemented with profound philosophical moments. Simba’s same reflection on the stars as being home to kings and ancestors formed my rudimentary fragments of what heaven is. Furthermore I adore the themes of adventure and fatherly love that permeate the movie. The transfiguration of the sky when Simba talks to his father as well as the character of Rafiki bring in an element of spirituality to the film and the restoration of Pride Rock is symbolic of this greater ‘Circle of Life’ that we are all part of. The breadth of themes in the Lion King makes me appreciate something unique in the film every time I watch.
While the discussion above displays my great admiration for the film, I did have a few critical observations of the film that I haven’t had before. The first of these concerns is the character of Scar. More than ever, I was very agitated by the character of Scar and his tyrannical character. While his plot to murder both Mufasa and Simba is torturous enough, I was also taken back by his very effeminate nature and the impact of that representation on the audience. His open acknowledgement of his weaker nature and his distant relationship with the other lions makes his portrayal strongly align with that of an outcast. Drawing upon the observations of his more transgendered characteristics, this reinforces his position as ‘other’ to the rest of the lions and that differences are to be avoided. I am left with the desire for Disney to construct a hero, akin to their existing heroes: hyper-masculinized, strong and handsome, but who is also fallible. Too often Disney villains are constructed in the same homogenous way as frail, outcast and envious. This leads to my stronger reading of the film and the theme of jealousy. Scar is corrupted by jealousy, ultimately committing regicide to usurp the throne. Even once be does ascend to the throne, he is jealous that he cannot create the kingdom that Mufasa first formed. This powerful message, warning of the dangers of jealousy is important but Disney presents it in questionable ways.

In our discussion in class, I was invested in out discussion of the scene ‘be prepared’ with Scar and the hyenas. When I watch the film individually I was uncomfortable with this scene but I couldn’t identify exactly why. In class however, I was illuminated by the allusion of the hyena uprising as analogous to the Nuremburg Rallies, with Scar representing the dictator figure of Hitler. In a powerful low-angle shot, the hyenas are marching and saluting Scar who is raised above them. The parallels are undeniable to the images of the Nuremburg Rallies. Scar further reflects Hitler in his propaganda promising prosperity and the issue of a new era. Having such a mature them such as Nazism is concerning in what is primarily a children’s film. 

Lastly I was also concerned by the underlying subtle message of the ‘Circle of Life’. The Circle of Life infers that there is exists a correct and very rigid order to the hierarchy of the animal kingdom. Expanding this outside the world of the text, I see the construction of divisions of classes. The way the Lion King unfolds, where the uprising of the hyenas disrupts the Circle of Life, becomes a commentary on class divisions. Hyenas are scavengers and representative of the lowest of society. The plot of the film, whereby this class order is inverted and the hyenas rule the animal kingdom results in chaos and famine. This is then a commentary that the lower classes cannot govern society and that an uprising will only lead to ruin. Thus, The Lion King is showing us that there exists a correct order and hierarchy of society. One is to accept their rightful place and not question their position in society, as breaking the mold will only create devastation.


In summary, The Lion King is a masterpiece amongst the creations of Disney but not entirely resistant to criticism. While the Lion King is a hallmark of the beauty of animation and soundtrack, there exist several controversial themes and undertones that are open to critical analysis and scrutiny. I do maintain however, that I have a profound love the film and its allure to my childhood self.  


1 comment:

  1. Download full of Adventure movie the Lion King in mp4 HD Qaulity👇

    Lion King Latest in mp4 HD Qaulity

    Follow my social networks for funny memes and odd news

    Facebook page 👇
    follow Facebook page
    Twitter👇
    Join Twitter
    Telegram👇
    Join Telegram

    ReplyDelete